A little fact about me, I hate projects that carry over more than a day. So, for this one I broke it down into three parts: 1. The actual seat slipcover, 2. The canopy, and 3. The finishing touches. Each of these were a one "craft" day project: meaning, when the kids are asleep.
For the longest time I was searching for a tutorial for a car seat cover, but couldn't find one that didn't have you rip your old car seat all apart. I didn't want to do that. I don't have a good reason why, so it's best if you just don't ask, but I just didn't want to.
Finally, I decided to just figure it out for myself. I love these kinds of projects because when they work out you feel even more like you accomplished something so amazing!
All I did was take off my old cover, lay it out as flat as I could and trace the sections. The seat had ten sections. The canopy had three, front and back, so six. I decided, since I have a girl coming, that ruffles were necessary. I just estimated on the ruffles, and it ended out working perfectly!
I LOVE it! I can't believe it actually worked, and that my sewing machine and I didn't get into some sort of terrible lovers quarrel.
(Another fact... I'm completely self taught when it comes to sewing. Most of the time I just send stuff through the machine and see how it turns out :) The seam ripper is one of my very best friends!)
All that being said, I'm really happy with it and CAN'T wait to put baby girl in there soon!!!
** Disclaimer: Altering your car seat may void your car seat’s warranty.