Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mesh Pumpkin Wreath

I saw a mesh pumpkin on etsy the other day that I fell crazy madly in love with.  Like the kind of crazy mad love that you get when you're pregnant and think that every single thing you see is the absolute greatest idea ever thought of.  Well, this one truly was.  Problem... SOLD.  Surely they would make more, but since it was almost October already I realized that if I wanted orange sparkling mesh to adorn my door this month I was going to have to make it happen on my own, and quickly.  It was either that, or get in the car and drive across the country to where it said the sellers lived.  That honestly crossed my mind, like that would somehow be faster than the United States Postal system.  Seriously though.

The first option seemed much more cost efficient, and SANE.
So, here's my version of the Mesh Pumpkin Wreath!




I'm super excited about how it turned out.  Not to mention that I think the total cost was around $6.  That beats a trip across America!  Although I will say the one on etsy it beyond AWESOME.  It's so full, and gorgeous and the colors are perfect.  I'm still madly in love with it, even with my copycat hanging on my door.  These two sisters' precision is perfect.  They are masters of mesh!

There was a good amount of trial and error on this project, but total it took half of my kids' afternoon nap to make. 

Cost was right.  Time was reasonable. 

Overall, a fun Halloween/Fall project.
 
UPDATE 8.20.12
A few people have asked for a tutorial on this. With it being summer, back to school time, almost fall, the days just don't seem to have enough hours. So, this is a very small, very simple how-to. If you have any questions, please ask!
Start with a 12 inch styrofoam circle. You could use a piece of cardboard even. (If I were doing it over again, that's what I'd do. :D )
I painted mine orange, but I don't think that's necessary.

(I had three pieces fall off over winter storage, so I'll be filling in that spot. )

I used the 21 inch mesh roll, and cut it 6 inches. Then I cut the 21 inch piece into 3 pieces. So your mesh is 6"x7". If you can find the mesh that is an 8 inch roll, use that! Then just cut them 6 inches.
Next, roll it up.
Pinch the bottom.
Hot glue it to the circle, and press it in place for a few seconds. {{Please don't tell my husband that I use his favorite TUL pen as my go to pressing tool... I clean off all hot glue residue before he gets home, so no harm, no foul, right? :) }}
Start in the middle and work your way out. (some of them were just stubborn, no matter how much glue I used, or how long I pressed it down it just wouldn't stick... for those I pulled out the staple gun. ;) )

Add the green the same way. Roll, pinch, glue.
Go until it's full, add any other fun frills you want, and there you have it! Whimsical pumpkin.

23 comments:

  1. I love the shimmer in the orange! What a cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a nice idea. Love for you to link these and any other of your great projects to Things I've Done Thursday, going on now until noon tomorrow!


    http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/10/things-ive-done-thursday-6_12.html


    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from VWB. I think that wreath is adorable! So cute. Maybe I'll have to make one of my own, especially if it's that cheap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a whole roll of orange mesh that I bought on a whim last year and was wondering what to do with it. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wreath turned out awesome! I actually bought a smaller version of that wreath for that Etsy store! To add just a little extra Jazz I added some picks to the top. For the month of November I am just going to replace out the black picks for some brown picks! You can see a picture of my wreath on my post here: http://overthebigmoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/neighborhood-thanksgiving-turkey.html

    We are having our 1st ever Linky party today! We would love for you to think this project up! You can view the party here: http://overthebigmoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/4th-friday-finale-102811.html

    Thanks!

    Pam @ Over the Big Moon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I miss something? Did you give instructions for dummies on how to make this wreath? I would love to get some details on this one also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love instructions too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too me too! How about a how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love instructions too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey!! I love this!! What is the base of the wreath? Any instructions would be great!! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to have instructions for this pumpkin. It's beautiful! I like this one better than the other because I'm more of a fluffy, fru-fru, kinda craft person. :) My email is crownof3jewels@aim.com. Please add Pumpkin instructions in the subject so I don't trash it. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi All!
    I've received a few requests here and by email for a tutorial on this mesh pumpkin. I'm happy to share! Summer is a little tricky though. As soon as I'm able to run out and get the supplies, and put together a tutorial, I'll post it! Be patient with me for a few weeks, but I WILL get to it. Promise! :)
    Thanks for your patience,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patiently (sort of!) waiting!! ~ Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  14. I added an update with a small how-to on this pumpkin wreath! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't seem to find the orange mesh, anyone have suggestions as to where to find it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can someone purchase the mesh to make the beautiful wreaths you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would also like to find the orange shimmer mesh. The wreaths are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I buy my mesh at Hobby Lobby. I've also seen it at Jo-ann's. Hope this helps!! :) Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love even the stem! What is it made of? Wish me luck! I've bought the mesh and will try my hand at it in hopes it will turn out 1/2 as good as yours! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just bought some sparkle tulle on sale at JoAnnes and some regular large holed (is that even a word?)tulle and plan on makeing this today. I can't wait. Thanks so much for sharing your idea, I love it, and would have tracked you down like the people you were going to in your story to get it. LOL. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete