I thought I'd spend the next couple of days showing you some of the fun projects we did in her room.
The Trellis Walls
I loved the result of our board and batten in the living room so much that I decided I wanted to do some sort of wainscoting in the baby's room too. Only, I didn't want to do the exact same thing. That would have been much too simple. Nothing can ever just be simple. I wanted to do something I hadn't seen before. That's not to say it's never been done, but just that I hadn't seen before.
So, one day I was thinking about it and I had this image in my mind of big diamonds. Feminine and perfect. Immediately I knew there would be a lot more wood, cutting, and nailing than the last time, but this is my baby girl, no amount of work would have seemed like too much. Although, if I had realized how much math would be involved, I likely would have changed my mind about the whole thing. :)
I pre-painted all the mdf and walls. Only I was a few boards short, and more than a little short of patience, so for the last few cuts I just stuck the primed board in there. So here it is all up with wood filler on.
I did a lot of the manual labor in this room while my husband was at work because I felt self-imposed pressure to get it done by a certain date. Not totally sure why I did that, but I'm glad now that I did because this was a tricky little project. You know, the kind you shut the door on and forget about for a few days at a time to keep your sanity. I'm already a little crazy though, so I figured may as well forge my way through the crazy and get it done.
Although, I did leave the sanding entirely to my husband. He sure loves his baby girl too! Who else would spend so much time sanding down the walls of a room just a few hours after a bottle of peaches exploded in his face, a trip to the ER, and six stitches above his eye! Scary. Such a good daddy.
For this wall, I decided not to add a ledge to the top. I think I've mentioned before just how small the bedrooms are in our house, and I didn't feel like I could give up even an inch more for the ledge. Instead, I decided on just a clean and simple 1x6 for the top trim.
I love how it turned out. Feels so calm and comforting in her room, which is the feeling that I was going for.
I had originally planned to paint the top part of the room in a super pale blush pink, but somewhere along the journey decided that I wanted to keep it tan and just accent the room in pink. I'm not going for pink overload here, just simple calm elegant. I guess I'm trying to get a lot of feelings out of such a little space. It seems to be working though.
Check back soon to see my DIY Baby Bedding!