This post has been a long time in the making. I keep starting it, then deleting it and putting it on hold for something more "seasonal." Not anymore! Here they are... our L Bunk Beds!
I'll apologize in advance that the pictures aren't very good, but it was sort of a snap a picture here and there kind of project.
After realizing we would need to squeeze both of our boys into one tiny room when the baby arrived, we started searching for the best bed situation. We had a few things to consider. 1. Our boys were just two at the time. 2. They still ended up in strange directions on their beds when they woke up in the morning. 3. I'm a paranoid mom. I worry.
My husband's vote was for bunk beds. I just didn't quite see how that could work with the three previously mentioned issues. I like to make him happy though, so we looked all over online for the perfect bunk beds and just couldn't find something to work for all of our needs. The few we saw that were similar to what we wanted ran around $1,500. That's insane. For a bunk bed?! Who do people think they're kidding?
So, I decided to design one of my own that would fit just what we were looking for, and I was certain I could do it for significantly less.
Amazing the things you can do yourself when you just pull out a calculator and paper and put your mind to work.
I measured the twin mattresses we already had, then added two inches to both the length and width for easier bedspread tucking. I decided how high I wanted the "top" bunk to be. Not so high that we end up with a broken arm, but I also wanted it low enough that when I check on them at night I could stand by the side of the bed and still see in. I also told my husband "NO WAY" on a ladder. Looking back now, I think my son could have easily handled it, but at the time we were building the bed he was getting in and out of bed a lot for "just one more drink of water," and that made me nervous thinking there would be a ladder involved. So, the stairs were a must. We also had to address the rolling. So we decided to make the beds kind of like a box bed. The sides of the beds come up higher (about 5 inches higher) than the mattress, so they can't roll out.
So... after several late nights in the garage, and with the patience of our very very kind neighbors putting up with all the noise, plus the pure brute strength of my sweet hubby, we finished our boys bunk beds!
They went from this...
Within less than two weeks. (that's pretty good considering most nights we didn't get to even work on it until after nine.)
For the bedding:
I bought the navy and green sheets from Ikea. Then bought four of the cheap-o white sheets (two for each bed) from Ikea to make their duvet covers. Making your own duvet is SO simple, and extremely cost effective.
For the top of the duvet, I just bought some solid cotton to match the sheets, and sewed on three stripes. Then the back, I did just like an envelope pillow, with a center that overlaps, utilizing the finished edges from the sheets. I also added a few strips of sew on velcro to hold the duvet shut.
These are not great instructions, but at the time... getting it finished was my only goal.
The boys have absolutely loved their "bonk" beds, as they call them.
So... for the wood, paint, and bedding we spent somewhere between $250 and $275! Yep! Sure beats $1500 any day of the week!
There is still some "decorating" to be done in here... but we are very happy that we could fit both the boys and their toys, and still leave some room for playing.
There is certainly some trial and error when you are making things up as you go along, but I would say we got just what we were hoping for out of the whole project. Success!!